Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I Get Paid To Be A Kid

Last summer, I decided to pick up some extra hours and start teaching kindergarten. I looked around for a while, and really like the fact that I'm a very sought after teacher. I applied at a lot of places, but ultimately, I was giving them the interview to decide where I wanted to work. It's a great job market to be in, but with the turn around of most foreign teachers out here being one year, a teacher with seven years of experience here in Taiwan definitely has the upper hand.

So many schools are horrible out here. I went to a couple of schools and when I looked at the curriculum, I was shocked to find that the kids would be learning around 80 new words and 12-15 new sentence patterns a week! And this was for their pre-school and kindergarten classes. I politely walked away, biting my tongue the whole way. Then, to my luck, I walked into the YMCA (go ahead, sing the song, I know you want to!). YMCA out here is the same organization as back at home, (well, basically). Their focus is on body, mind, and spirit. As I walked into the classroom, I was amazed to see the classes painted from top to bottom like a story book.



I've loved my job there, and have been learning a lot about really stepping back to the basics, when teaching the kids. It's great to work with these guys and really try to make it interesting. The other night, Candy came home to my latest project. I was teaching – I can move like a robot. , and , I go to grandpa's house by car. Check it out…




0 comments:

\